Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:27:33 -0400
From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger@...neretcs.com>
To: <michaelslists@...il.com>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: $100 plus several of my books if you can crack my Windows password hashes.

I'm saying if faced with increasing the strength of my passwords, I
value length over complexity.

Case in point, a large city I consult for said they are moving their
passwords from 5 character minimum to 8 characters and complex. (yeah, I
had to stop coughing too...but 5 character minimums aren't that rare in
very large environments).

I argued all day long that they should go to 12+ characters and forget
the complexity.  Mathematically and practically, I know I'm right, but
the world is all about complexity and less about length despite
overwhelming evidence to the contrary that length is better overall.

For instance, I was creating a login account for my stock holdings
today, and password requirements were six character minimum with 3 of 4
types of character complexity (normal for most complexity requirements).
So even though my passphrase of idratherbetakingpicturesofsharks is much
harder to crack, it will not be allowed. I have to choose a weaker,
harder to remember, password to meet their password complexity
requirements...and to tell you the truth, I'm sick of it.

So, I'm making my wake up call.

Do the math, do the cracking, length is a better defender than
complexity.

Even when people are required to go complex, their complexity is
pathetically predictable (32 characters cover 80% of all users),
defeating the whole purpose for the complexity, no many how many
characters can be used.  So require increased length instead, forget
complexity, and enjoy stronger protection.

Then all you have to do is convince your users not to give away their
password to a complete stranger for a $2 chocolate bar.