Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:07:38 +0200
From: "Aviv Raff" <avivra@...il.com>
To: "'Pukhraj Singh'" <pukhraj.singh@...il.com>
Cc: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>,
	<EArsal@...hdata.de>
Subject: RE: VML Exploit vs. AV/IPS/IDS signatures

Hi,

There are gateway solutions out there which implement sort-of lexical
parsers (e.g. www.esafe.com, www.webwasher.com, www.finjan.com).

Also, there is no way to "gather the maximum number of exploit variants as
you can". Because, by using server side scripting to randomize the exploit's
content, it's unfeasible to collect all possible variants.

I really would like to know the source of information which tells you that
AV solutions provide almost 99% of protection against in-the-wild
exploits... "Few sources" doesn't necessarily mean few possible variants.

-- Aviv.