Date: 28 Nov 2006 20:51:14 -0000
From: yalnifj@...rs.sourceforge.net
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: PhpGedView 4.0.2  (DOCUMENT_ROOT) File inclusion Vulnerablity

I have not been able to find a way to exploit this with a normal PhpGedView installation even with register_globals turned on. It always errors out before this could be a problem.

In order to access it the $nuke_type would have to be set to "postnuke". Which is in itself trivial with register_globals on, but if you do figure out the appropriate query string you will still get errors because it is expecting *nuke functions to be defined.

I haven't tested it inside a *Nuke system, but I don't think you could exploit it there either without exploiting something else inside the *nuke because those functions would still be undefined.

Precautions that could be taken:

*. The easiest thing to do is to remove the "pgvnuke" directory from your installations. Removing the files will not cause any errors. They are only included for those people who want to use PhpGedView as a module to a *nuke.  Even in a Nuke installation you do not need to have the "pgvnuke" directory inside your PhpGedView directory.

*. Alternately if you use apache you can include a .htaccess file in that directory.  Version 4.1 includes a .htaccess file in the pgvnuke directory.