Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 06:15:17 -0800
From: "Jim Harrison" <Jim@...tools.org>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: PHP as a secure language? PHP worms? [was: Re: new linux malware]

No; this wasn't flame-bait, although I'd be silly not to expect some.
Let me make my position clear; the goals of secure coding and secure
languages are both grand and well worth the time spent.

There are two primary factors which make this an impossible task:

1. "secure" is moving, contextual target.  That which is deemed "secure"
by today's standards will be "just ok" or "watta joke" by future
evaluators.  What is good enough for Joe's Garage won't even make it in
the door of Fred's Bank (3 anti-social points for each reference),
although some could argue that Joe's security requirements should equal
Fred's, since they both pin their business on it.

2. Until the human factor is removed from both, mistakes and simple
ignorance will always render them both "less than secure" in any
context.  This is the core of my argument.

Again; I agree with and fully support the effort.  What I'm trying to
point out is the literal impossibility of actually achieving "genuine
security" in either our code or the languages it's written in.