Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 13:21:29 -0800 (PST)
From: RSnake <rsnake@...cking.com>
To: James Landis <jcl24@...nell.edu>
Cc: Amit Klein <aksecurity@...il.com>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	Web Security <websecurity@...appsec.org>
Subject: Re: [WEB SECURITY] Universal XSS with PDF files: highly dangerous

It's not a part of the URL string that is passed to the header:

http://www.google.com/appliance/pdf/google_gsa_datasheet.pdf#blah=javascript:alert(%22XSS%22);

becomes:

GET /appliance/pdf/google_gsa_datasheet.pdf HTTP/1.0
Host: www.google.com
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Pragma: no-cache

So I think your idea was partly good, the 301 redirection will knock off
the URL fragment, but it has nothing to do with GET vs POST, and you'll
need to redirect it to a unique token to prevent infinite loops or
someone just forwarding to a guessable token.

-RSnake
http://ha.ckers.org/
http://sla.ckers.org/
http://ha.ckers.org/fierce/