Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 08:45:27 +0000
From: bugtraq <bugtraq@...urityfocus.lists.bitrouters.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: a cheesy Apache / IIS DoS vuln (+a question)

to kill is enough not to finish the request and let it timeout on server side.
no ddos/dos protection layers can stand against this attack (as far as i know) and the scenario is simple
1. fingerprint the timeout on serverside
2. dig the sitemap from target
3. build a list of browsers to advertise to server during request
4. buy proxies from black market
5. start requests thru proxies to target
requests are never to be finished. randomized headers, following the sitemap. send few bytes, wait smthin less than server timeout and send the next few bytes, never finish the request. at least apache will wait for the request to finish. with 2k proxies starting 3-4 requests (browsers sending parallel requests, target should allow more than one request) u can generate a contigous flow of 6k to 8k requests to apache. starvation will start sooner apache will just consume its resources waiting for bogus requests to finish, he will never read a full request but will just timeout waiting for data. the thing is you can make the wait process longer, because (at least in some implementation, i think i tested 1.3.x and 2.0.x), you send first few bytes then put apache in wait he will start his timer but when u send the next few bytes after X seconds he will reset his timer for that request. slow , sure-thing death.

with a default timeout of 300 seconds on server side and request headers having lets say 512 bytes of data, sending max rand(5,10) bytes before timeout comes in u will keep a thread busy for at least 300*50 seconds with one single request  ... discard connection when requewst is sent and just start a new one, u dont have to consume bw by reading response

a quick fix for this can be available at least on bsd, there is accf_http that can be modified not to pass the connection to apache until a full request is read (either get or post, full, not just the first get request header, ofcourse this can be even worst for a lot of post data). prolly there are ddos middle layers that can do the thing but i did not found one yet. at least the big guys on the market seem to be vulnerable.
you can't find patterns to stop this kind of attack cuz you simulate a real browser 100%, all u can do is to readahead the request and filter bogus before apache does. 99% from apache setups coming with default config, never modified by owner. thinking cpanel, at least. its not about consuming srv bw, its just about making it choke and its happening very fast.

--
adrian ilarion ciobanu (cia)