Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:50:49 -0600
From: "Dave Moore" <dave.j.moore@...il.com>
To: bugtraq <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>, steven@...terwebnet.com,
	dennis.jackson@...rect.co.uk
Subject: Re: slocate leaks filenames of protected directories

chmod 711 dir
sets permissions: drwx--x--x

But for directories the x doesn't mean executable, it means
searchable. from man ls:

 The file mode printed under the -l option consists of the entry type,
     owner permissions, and group permissions.  The entry type character
     describes the type of file, as follows:

           b     Block special file.
           c     Character special file.
           d     Directory.
           l     Symbolic link.
           s     Socket link.
           p     FIFO.
           -     Regular file.

     The next three fields are three characters each: owner permissions, group
     permissions, and other permissions.  Each field has three character posi-
     tions:

           1.   If r, the file is readable; if -, it is not readable.

           2.   If w, the file is writable; if -, it is not writable.

           3.   The first of the following that applies:

                      S     If in the owner permissions, the file is not exe-
                            cutable and set-user-ID mode is set.  If in the
                            group permissions, the file is not executable and
                            set-group-ID mode is set.

                      s     If in the owner permissions, the file is exe-
                            cutable and set-user-ID mode is set.  If in the
                            group permissions, the file is executable and set-
                            group-ID mode is set.

                      x     The file is executable or the directory is search-
                            able.

Or am I missing something?

--
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -Heinlein

This message copyright (c) 2004-2007 David J Moore