Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:35:18 -0500
From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger@...neretcs.com>
To: "McCarty, Eric C." <emccarty@...ucsd.edu>, <chgsupra1@....com>,
	<bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: SYMSA-2007-002: Palm OS Treo Find Feature System Password Bypass

Yes, with physical access a specialized, dedicated attacker can always
compromise the device. With this bug, the specialized skills needed
include pressing three buttons.  That's the problem.  You can't just
blow off the difficulty rating as inconsequential.

Yes, I agree with your other commonsense attestations.

But my main beef isn't with this particular exploit, it's with Palm's
policy of not fixing a security vulnerability in millions of phones.

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, Banneret Computer Security, Consultant
*CPA, CISSP, MCSE: Security (2000/2003/MVP), CEH, yada...yada...
*email: roger@...neretcs.com
*Author of Professional Windows Desktop and Server Hardening (Wrox)
*http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764599909