Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 18:33:50 -0700
From: The Dark Tangent <dtangent@...con.org>
To: "bugtraq-securityfocus.com" <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: DEF CON One Five CfP in effect!

DEFCON 15 Call For Papers is now officially Open and will close on June 15, 2007.
Don't know what DEFCON is? Go to https://www.defcon.org/ and clue up!

Papers and presentations are now being accepted for DEFCON 15, the conference your mother and ISC(2) warned you about. DEFCON will take place at the Riviera in Las Vegas, NV, USA, August 3-5, 2007.

Last year, we eliminated speaking tracks, and we received a diverse selection of submissions. From hacking your car, your brain, and CIA sculptures to hacking the vote, Bluetooth, and DNS hacks. We group presentations by subject and come up with topic areas of interest. It worked out so well in the past we are doing it again.

What are we looking for then, if we don't have tracks? Were looking for the presentation that you've never seen before and have always wanted to see. We are looking for the presentation that the attendees wouldn't ask for, but blows their minds when they see it. We want strange demos of Personal GPS jammers, RFID zappers, and HERF madness. Got a MITM attack against cell phones? We want to see it.

Subjects that we have traditionally covered in the past, and will continue to accept include: Trojan development, worms, malware, intelligent agents, protocol exploits, application security, web security, database hacking, privacy issues, criminal law, civil law, international law/treaties, prosecution perspectives, 802.11X, bluetooth, cellular telephony protocols, privacy, identity theft, identity creation, fraud, social implications of technology, media/film presentations, firmware hacking, hardware hacking, embedded systems hacking, smartcard technologies, credit card and financial instrument technologies, surveillance, counter-surveillance, UFO's, peer2peer technologies, reputation systems, copyright infringement and anti-copyright infringement enforcement technologies, critical infrastructure issues, physical security, social engineering, academic security research, PDA and cell phone security, EMP/HERF weaponry, TEMPEST technologies, corporate espionage, IDS evasion.

What a mouth full! Well you can't say we didn't give you some ideas. This list is not intended to limit possible topics, merely to give examples of topics that have interested us in the past, and is in fact the same list we used last year..

Check out https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-14/dc-14-speakers.html for past conference presentations to get a complete list of past topics that were accepted if you want to learn from the past.

We are looking for and give preference to: unique research, new tool releases, Ø day attacks (with responsible disclosure), highly technical material, social commentaries, and ground breaking material of any kind. Want to screen a new hacking documentary or release research? Consider DEFCON.

Speaking Formats:
Choose between 12 hundred seconds, 50 minutes, 110 minutes, or a break out format of a length you determine. We are continuing the Twelve Hundred Second Spotlight, which is a shorter presentation (about twenty minutes) that doesn't warrant a full 50 or 110 minute talk. The Twelve Hundred Second Spotlight is designed for those who don't have enough material for a full talk, but still have a valuable contribution to make. This is to ensure that great ideas that can be presented quickly don't fall through the cracks merely because they didn't justify a full length talk. Examples include research, announcements, group presentations, projects needing volunteers or testers, requests for comments, updates on previously given talks, quick demonstrations. You get the idea. Presenters will get a speaker badge which entitles them to free admittance to DEFCON, but we will be unable to pay an Honorarium.

Remember being attacked by flying meat? Do you remember thick accented Germans trying to convince you to attack critical infrastructure? Do you remember extravagant vapor ware releases by a stage filled with posses? We do, and sans projectiles of raw meat we want to encourage such shenanigans again this year. We are calling on all "hacker groups" (you know who you are, and the FBI has a nifty file with your name on it) to present at DEFCON, to discuss what you're up to, what your mission is, to discuss any upcoming or past projects, and to discuss parties/conferences you are throwing. We do humbly request that all gang warfare be relegated to electronic attacks, and not fall over into meat space.

New for DEFCON 15:
The second year being at the Riviera has allowed us to make some changes to the format from last year. We have more speaking rooms, and because of this I want to announce a call for workshops, demos, and mini trainings. We have additional small rooms that will enable highly focused demonstrations or workshops. If you want to talk about building a passport cloner or a tutorial on developing Metasploit exploits this might be the format for you. You tell us how much time you need, and we try to accommodate you!

To submit a speech Complete the Call for Papers Form at: https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-15/dc-15-cfp-form.html and send to talks at defcon dot org. You will receive a confirmation within 48 hours of submission.

We are going to continue last year's goal of increasing the quality of the talks by screening people and topics. I realize you guys are speaking for basically free, but some talks are better than others. Some people put in a bit more effort than others. I want to reward the people who do the work by making sure there is room for them.

This year we will have two rounds of speaker acceptance. In the first round we will fill about half of the schedule before the submission deadline, and the remaining half afterwards. This is to encourage people to submit as early as possible and allows attendees to plan on the topics that interest them. If you see the schedule on-line start to fill, do not worry if you have not heard from us yet, as we are still in the process of selection.

Barring a disaster of monstrous proportions, speaker selection will be completed no later July 1. The sooner you submit the better chance you have of the reviewers to give your presentation the full consideration it warrants. If you wait until the last minute to submit, you have less of a chance of being selected.

After a completed CFP form is received, speakers will be contacted if there are any questions about their presentations. If your talk is accepted you can continue to modify and evolve it up until the last minute, but don't deviate from your accepted presentation. We will mail you with information on deadlines for when we need your presentation, to be burnt on the CDROM, as well as information for the printed program.

Speakers get in to the show free, get paid (AFTER they give a good presentation!), get a coolio badge, and people like you more. Heck, most people find it is a great way to meet people or find other people interested in their topics. Speakers can opt to forgo their payment and instead receive three human badges that they can give to their friends, sell to strangers, or hold onto as timeless mementoes. Receiving badges instead of checks has been a popular option for those insisting on maintaining their anonymity.

Please visit: