Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:49:53 +0400
From: 3APA3A <3APA3A@...URITY.NNOV.RU>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: ShAnKaR: Simle machines forum CAPTCHA bypass and PHP injection

Dear bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,

  ShAnKaR  <shankar  at shankar.name> reported vulnerabilities in Simple
  Machines Forum 1.1.2 (aka SMF) http://www.simplemachines.org/

  Original advisory (in Russian):
  http://securityvulns.ru/Rdocument271.html

1. Weak sound-based CAPTCHA protection

   In  this engine sound CAPTCHA based automated registration protection
   is  implemented  with  a  WAV file, generated by concatenation of few
   different  sound  files.  Developers  use WAV file randomization, but
   this   randomization   is   insufficient   and  can  be  bypassed  by
   bruteforcing with known sound templates.

[blah@...alhost smfh]$ ./captcha.pl http://localhost/smf/
nnrbv
created in 1.41827201843262 seconds
[andrey@...alhost smfh]$ ./captcha.pl http://localhost/smf/
vpubu
created in 1.49515509605408 seconds
[andrey@...alhost smfh]$ ./captcha.pl http://localhost/smf/
ntfhh
created in 2.31928586959839 seconds
[andrey@...alhost smfh]$ ./captcha.pl http://localhost/smf/
egudz
created in 0.823321104049683 seconds

  As  it  can  be  seen,  bruteforce usually takes only 1-2 seconds. See
  script attached.

2. PHP injection

There  is  a  possibility  to  execute  any  PHP code during creation or
editing of forum message.
(no further details is given by advisory author).

--
http://securityvulns.com/
         /\_/\