Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:48:23 +0200
From: Thor Larholm <seclists@...holm.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Mozilla protocol abuse

The Mozilla application platform currently has an unpatched input
validation flaw which allows you to specify arbitrary command line
arguments to any registered URL protocol handler process. Jesper
Johansson already detailed parts of this on his blog on July 20,
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/. I wrote a vulnerability report
on July 18 together with a proof-of-concept exploit that targeted
Thunderbird 2.0.0.4.

Thunderbird 2.0.0.5 was released on July 19 and incidentally fixed this
specific attack vector through its "osint" command line flag. It is now
6 days later and people should have had time to update their Thunderbird
installations, so I have decided to publish my vulnerability report
together with the exploits as they detail how to handle XPI exploitation.

The HTML version can be found at

http://larholm.com/2007/07/25/mozilla-protocol-abuse/

A ZIP file with the report and the XPI exploits can be found at

http://larholm.com/media/2007/7/mozillaprotocolabuse.zip

Cheers
Thor Larholm