Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:50:30 -0700
From: "Matthew Leeds" <mleeds@...leeds.net>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re[2]: Skype Network Remote DoS Exploit

I'd consider this uh, untrue. Didn't happen on the last patch Tuesday, nor the one before. What made this month special? Did those millions of Windows users who update all coordinate their activity? Not likely.

As to other services that depends on running on consumers computers to provide services, there are not many on the scale of Skype that vampire bandwidth and CPU in the same way. Certainly none of the bit torrent networks crashed, but then I suspect that they are far more tolerant of user's computers coming and going, and far less dependent on their persistence.

---Matthew