Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:50:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: alan <alan@...eserver.org>
To: Jerome Athias <jerome.athias@...e.fr>
Cc: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...re.org>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: n.runs, Sophos, German laws, and customer safety

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, Jerome Athias wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it is important to notice this.
> The mentioned german law comes after the similar french law called lcLEN (aka
> Fontaines's law).
> In 2003-2004, a petition was done against this law, with around 15,000
> signatories...
> http://www.iris.sgdg.org/actions/len/petition.html
>
> for nothing...
>
> "A new anti-security law was voted yesterday in France, this law called LEN
> (loi pour la confiance dans l'économie numérique)":
> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/359969
>
> And after that we had the Guillermito's story
> "Hacker Indicted In France For Publishing Exploits":
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/03/31/1543248
> http://constitutionalcode.blogspot.com/2005/01/guillermito-reverse-engineering.html
>
> Good luck to our neighbours from Deutschland...
> I salute you!

I don't know of a good solution to stupid laws.  My impulse is to
encourage security companies to boycott such governments.  Don't sell (or
give) them products and services.  (Tell them that you are afraid of
violating their laws. A valid concern.)  Maybe they will get the hint
after the 42th successful hack/virus/whatever.

Of course, this will not work.  As seen in the US, there are plenty of
people who will do anything for money, no matter who it hurts, including
themselves or the industry they work in.

The US has also gone after people revealing vulnerabilities.  "Killing the
messenger" is a popular pasttime world wide.

--
Refrigerator Rule #1: If you don't remember when you bought it, Don't eat it.