Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:19:20 -0700
From: Tony Rall <trall@...aden.ibm.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: 0trace - traceroute on established connections

On Friday, 2007-09-28 at 11:43 GMT, tyter9@...il.com wrote:
> I think it would be interesting to enumerate incoming connections.
>
> user (192.168.0.2) --> router (192.168.0.1) --> gateway/masquarade -->
~~~~ -->
> server (0trace).
> What do you think about it? is it possible to enumerate internal "user"
user
> network?

Remember that the route traffic takes is dynamically determined with each
packet - and most of those decisions are made outside your own machine.
The path taken by one packet may differ markedly from that of the previous
packet to the same destination.

And, in trying do what you suggest, you run into all of the shortcomings
of traceroute - including:

1. Some nodes won't respond to you.
2. Some nodes may even lie to you.
3. There is no reasonable way to determine the path of the return traffic
(asymmetric routing).

--
Tony Rall