Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 12:46:47 +0200 (CEST)
From: Juergen Schmidt <ju@...sec.de>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: ju@...sec.de
Subject: RE: URI handling woes in Acrobat Reader, Netscape, Miranda, Skype

Roger A. Grimes writes:

> The applications in question are accepting abitrary input and not
> validating correctly.

No -- they are handing the input over to the operating system -- which is
a reasonable thing to do for things that start with mailto|htpp|...

> How is that a Microsoft or Windows problem?

Ok, so just Microsoft and Windows:

Enter

mailto:test%../../../../windows/system32/calc.exe".cmd

in "Start/Run"

1) on a system with Windows XP and IE6. Outlook Express is executed as
expected.

2) now do the very same thing on a system with Windows XP and IE7.
calc.exe is executed.

3) Now do the very same thing on a system with Windows Vista. You get a
"... could not be found"

No 3rd party software involved, just Microsoft and Windows -- three
different reactions. That is not what I would call a reliable and therefor
secure basis for applications.

You can propably argue in favour of any of those reactions -- but not for
all of them.

bye, ju

--
Juergen Schmidt    editor-in-chief    heise Security     www.heisec.de
Heise Zeitschriften Verlag,    Helstorferstr. 7,       D-30625 Hannover