Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:37:01 +0100
From: "Henrich C. Poehls" <poehls@...ormatik.uni-hamburg.de>
To: "Naujoks, Hans-Dietmar" <Hans-Dietmar.Naujoks@...v-sued.de>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: MS Office 2007: Digital Signature does not protect Meta-Data

Dear Mr. Naujoks,

yes, I can see your point, too.
I totally agree that users need to be educated, but I still think
that MS Office shall take a share to educate and inform users of
their digital signature's scope.

From: "Naujoks, Hans-Dietmar" <Hans-Dietmar.Naujoks@...v-sued.de>
Date: 12/14/2007 2:56:15 PM +010
> [...]
> In fact the visual clue you gave for a signed document in Word 2007
> shows that in the context for those document properties there
> are also attributes like keywords, category and comments
> which are less misleading to the assumption those properties
> could be part of the signed document. So for example users
> of SharePoint Office Server are acquainted with the
> behavior of showing data that is managed and shown on
> server side in that area above the document.

This might be true, but in my opinion, still builds on either the
assumption
- that MetaData (like category) is not part of the
author's document (thus not covered by his digital
signature), or
- that users are educated/aquinted with having
information "with" a document that did not originate from the
author.

> You should also mention that the label on the menu for
> showing this area reads "Prepare Document for Publishing"
> which also in my opinion gives a clue that this data is not
> part of the signed document.
> [...]

Agreed, the area is labelled like that, but if this would
be freely editable data, why is Office 2007 not allowing
editing this data through the GUI?

All GUI edits to the MetaData are prohibited,
once a document is signed.

I also agree, that the severity of this is open to discussion, and
invite anybody interested in this discussion to contact me directly.

Best Regards,
Henrich C. Pöhls

--
Henrich C. Pöhls
Research Group Security in Distributed Systems (SVS)

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it." Lord Kelvin (1883)