Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:02:23 -0600
From: Kurt Grutzmacher <grutz@...gojango.net>
To: Tavis Ormandy <taviso@....lonestar.org>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: common dns misconfiguration can lead to "same site" scripting

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 04:40:58PM +0000, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
> Hello, I'd like to document what appears to be a common named
> misconfiguration that can result in a minor security issue with web
> applications.

Interesting research, Tavis!

Have you looked at what a proxy-server would do with this type of
request? Most fail with "requested URL could not be retrieved" error but
some report the URL back to the browser. Squid in particular does but it
filters HTML characters.

Also if the proxy server is on a regular server (vs a content engine)
you can reach the local web server of the host. A possible way to reconfigure
home routers with proxy servers or enumerate if a transparent proxy is
in place.

--
                 ..:[ grutz at jingojango dot net ]:..
     GPG fingerprint: 5FD6 A27D 63DB 3319 140F  B3FB EC95 2A03 8CB3 ECB4