Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 20:07:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gadi Evron <ge@...uxbox.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: full-disclsoure@...ts.grok.org.uk, funsec@...uxbox.org
Subject: IOS rootkits

At the upcoming EusecWest Sebastian Muniz will apparently unveil an IOS
rootkit. skip below for the news item itself.

We've had discussions on this before, here and elsewhere. I've been heavily
attacked on the subject of considering router security as an issue when
compared to routing security.

I have a lot to say about this, looking into this threat for a few years now
and having engaged different organizations within Cisco on the subject in the
past.  Due to what I refer to as an "NDA of honour" I will just relay the
following until it is "officially" public, then consider what should be made
public, including:

1. Current defense startegies possible with Cisco gear
2. Third party defense strategies (yes, they now exist)
2. Cisco response (no names or exact quotes will likely be given)
3. A bet on when such a rootkit would be public, and who won it (participants
are.. "relevant people").

From:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/051408-hacker-writes-rootkit-for-ciscos.html

"A security researcher has developed malicious rootkit software for Cisco's
routers, a development that has placed increasing scrutiny on the routers that
carry the majority of the Internet's traffic.

Sebastian Muniz, a researcher with Core Security Technologies, developed the
software, which he will unveil on May 22 at the EuSecWest conference in London. "

 	Gadi Evron.