Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:33:19 -0700
From: Jim Harrison <Jim@...tools.org>
To: "'me@...getchell.com'" <me@...getchell.com>,
	"'Thor (Hammer of God)'" <thor@...merofgod.com>,
	"'Johan Beisser'" <jb@...stic.org>
Cc: "bugtraq@...urityfocus.com" <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Windows Vista Power Management & Local Security Policy

It's about reality & priorities.

What we're both saying is:
1. it's a bug and should be fixed in accordance with its impact on real (not imagined) functionality & security
2. unless this provides some exploit that doesn't start with "if I can install software on the host", it's not more than "a bug in a security mechanism"

If someone can demonstrate an actual vulnerability or exploit on the basis of this bug _alone_, then they may have something to make noise about.  There are enough real bugs and security vulns in software to deal with.  Not every security issue spells doom and damnation or warrants immediate corrective response from the vendor.

Jim