Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:16:18 -0400
From: "Memisyazici, Aras" <arasm@...edu>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Cc: Siim Põder <siim@...rad-teel.net>
Subject: RE: Pidgin IM Client Password Disclosure Vulnerability.

Siim:

While I agree with your comments, I cannot help but suggest that maybe the method of choice could be 'security through obscurity' whereby they take a hash of the password, with a non-std. hashing mechanism. The idea being that in today's world where there are so many scr1pt-kiddi3 toolz out there allowing the avg. Joe Schmoe the capability of analyzing one's memory processes i.e. Tsearch, memhack etc... It only makes it non-trivial for them to extract the info needed. This way you are making it a tad more annoying and adding another buffer they need to bypass :)

Just a thought,
Aras 'Russ' Memisyazici
Systems Administrator

Virginia Tech