Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:50:20 +0530
From: "Sandeep Cheema" <51l3n7@...e.in>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: SEPKILL /im SMC.EXE /f

Please note the following. I have reported this to Symantec at
https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=endpoint_protection11&thread.id=25786&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

Symantec,

I have reported the second part of this to bugtraq, The first part I will in
some time, Once I am done with this thread. The part before that is what
this thread looks to be about.

1)

POC:

::Save the following as a batch file and execute it.

:here

taskkill /im smcgui.exe /f

goto :here

Its mainly bruteforcing the icon not to appear in the taskbar but doing more
than that. The communication with the manager is lost(Though with smc.exe
running under system account) and NTP is over and out from the SEP client
console while this is running.

POC:

With the batch file running, Open the following executable which is the
GUI(Not Icon) for SEP

"c:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\symcorpui.exe"

If you have NTP installed, It would not be there and if you only have the
NTP installed, It will say "No Problems detected- No protection technology
is installed" and nothing in that board. If you go to help and support >
Troubleshooting. The server is offline for the client.

All this might be purely cosmetic but guess there's time to get that patched
up before mp2 rolls out.

2)

When the following command line is executed

"c:\program files\symantec\symantec endpoint protection\smcgui.exe" ~

 The error is thrown as below which lasts for a split second.

"Serious problem reading transaction from pipe - probable loss of
synchonisation a and GetlastError return 6"

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV2in8dJ

and if executed in a batch file in the following way.

POC:

::Save the following as a batch file and execute it.

:here

"c:\program files\symantec\symantec endpoint protection\smcgui.exe" ~

goto :here

and run the filemon with the filter as smc.exe, Whenever it tries to access
the smcgui.exe. There is a "Buffer Overflow" detected. As I have said at
bugtrax as well, I am not sure if the buffer overflow has happened or
averted but its all very interesting.

Regards, Sandeep Cheema

Message Edited by S1l3nc3 pl3as3 on 02-18-2009 11:09 PM
Message Edited by S1l3nc3 pl3as3 on 02-18-2009 11:15 PM