Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 20:21:32 +0100
From: "Adrian P." <ap@...citizen.org>
To: pantera_bleed@...mail.com
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: XMLHttpRequest file upload vulnerability Chrome 2 & Safari 3

it's always been possible to steal local files if you can convince a
user to open a "harmless" html file from their local filesystem. this
is possible because the scripting code runs within local context (in
FF terminology - not sure what Safari calls it).

last time i checked [1] [2] FF didn't even issue a warning when
opening a local file with scripting code in it, although i haven't
checked in the case of Safari

[1] http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/web-pages-from-hell-2/
[2] http://marc.info/?l=bugtraq&m=116386919506057&w=2