Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:35:56 -0400
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: Thierry Zoller <Thierry@...ler.lu>
Cc: Alex Roichman <Alexr@...ckmarx.com>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	Ilja van Sprundel <ilja@...esec.org>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Regular Expression Denial of Service

Hi Thierry,

> With all due respect - this is known to be a vulnerability
> class since over  a  century.
The referenced web page is titled, "ReDoS (Regular Expression Denial
of Service) Revisited". The authors cite work as early as 2003 in
their paper.

> Can we please stop the  attitude of inventing
> acronyms for vulnerabilites, ...
Having a bad day?

> It's  the  impact  of  something  that makes it a vulnerability
> no the name.
In my humble opinion, the novelty is that Checkermax, a firm which
specializes in source code analysis, may be staging a tool to help
solve or alleviate the problem. At minimum, the firm has added to the
body of knowledge.

If you've ever had the pleasure of working behind someone who thinks
K&R terseness is cool, you will welcome any and all tools to perform
static and dynamic analysis. These folks live in a fantasy world where
function calls do not fail and bad guys do not exist.

Jeff