Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 19:35:34 +0100
From: Jann Horn <jannhorn@...glemail.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Re: Circumventing Critical Security in Windows XP

Am Sonntag, den 28.02.2010, 00:18 +0000 schrieb anonym@...nym.com:
> administrator level doesnt matter much when we talk about antivirus/firewall softwares because nowadays they have a builtin protection that will try to prevent they get disabled, no matter what is the user access rights over the system. if the software can be disabled, then the flaw is in the software itself, and is indeed a vulnerability.
>
> ps: on Windows XP users by default have admin rights when created, the standard user is member of the administrators group. On Windows Vista and later the standard user is admin too but the UAC forces the user to have "user level" rights. but demonstration code has been published to bypass this protection, then again that kind of modification (the modification did by the sc command reflects in the registry in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in which only admins can write data) will be possible.

I think that no software is really able to make it impossible for an
administrator to get rid of a firewall - for example, it should be
possible to patch system files or modify the MBR so that the firewall
gets deleted during startup. You simply shouldn't work as root or
administrator.

Jann Horn

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (198 bytes)