Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:12:38 -0700
From: John Adams <jna@...tter.com>
To: Tim Brown <timb@...-dimension.org.uk>
Cc: "Undisclosed.Recipients:"@lists.grok.org.uk,
	full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Medium security hole in Varnish reverse proxy

Post some code that people can evaluate.

For starters, There's no reason why varnish ever has to run as root.
It never listens on privileged ports, and the C compiler is never
available over a network interface.

You can ask varnish to reload a configuration and recompile it, but
you'd have to have write access to the filesystem first.  You an also
only cause recompilation to occur if the admin interface is up and
running, which can be easily disabled.

Poul is probably correct. Any vulnerabilities in Varnish with regards
to privilege escalation are configuration issues.

-j