Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:53:47 -0600
From: Joel Maslak <jmaslak@...elope.net>
To: "jc@...cean.net" <jc@...cean.net>
Cc: Jann Horn <jannhorn@...glemail.com>,
	"bugtraq@...urityfocus.com" <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: STP mitm attack idea

Portfast modifies STP, it does not disable it.

This does make a good argument for pvst and similar technologies running at the vlan level for enterprise networking.

But it is probably best to assume someone with access to a segment can see everything on that segment, pretend to be anyone else on that subnet, and inject anything onto that subnet. In other words, it is nearly impossible to protect reliability and somewhat privacy on a shared link.

On Apr 29, 2010, at 12:19 AM, news <news@...cean.net> wrote:

> Le mercredi 28 avril 2010 à 18:20 +0200, Jann Horn a écrit :
>> Am Dienstag, den 27.04.2010, 19:55 +0200 schrieb Przemyslaw Borkowski:
>>> Second scenario:
>>> 1. Station C and station D starts to send frames to break link beetween switch 1 and switch 2, and announce non existing connection and switch from C port on switch 1 to D port on switch 2
>>>
>>> A ---- switch 1 --X-- switch 2 ----- B
>>>          C  --no conn-- D
>>> 2. Station A sends frame to B
>>> 3. Frame is forwarded to C station
>>> 4. Station C stores frame in memory
>>> 5. After equal timing station C and station D repair link beetween switch 1 and 2
>>> 6. station C resends stored packet to station D (ie in tunnel or encapsulated in ip packet)
>>> 7. stations C and D break link beetween switches 1 and 2