Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 01:25:28 +0530
From: "John Smith" <at-x@...e.com>
To: "Vladimir '3APA3A' Dubrovin" <3APA3A@...URITY.NNOV.RU>
Cc: "MustLive" <mustlive@...security.com.ua>,
	"Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@...bell.net>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: DoS vulnerabilities in Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Opera and other browsers

Point taken. But that'd be a non-issue on the browser's end as much as
site's that is allowing the rogue scripts (or malformed ads, as per your
example).
The fork of this mail thread clearly explains what I'm talking about. The
issue noted there is a simple DoS attack which every programming language
and platform is vulnerable too. Its called the "infinite loop". It is not a
'security vulnerability' by itself and is completely agnostic of the uri
handler (try http or anything instead of nntp).

Here's the simplified JS version of it (lets call it the Universal DoS --
yes, it'd work for every browser on the planet that can execute JS) -

<script>
while(1)alert('hello world');
</script>

Done!

Workaround:
None very intuitive. Maybe allow the user to terminate the script at every
iteration? specific time period? etc...