Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 14:33:48 -0500
From: Simple Nomad <thegnome@...c.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Vulnerabilities in some SCADA server softwares

On 03/23/2011 01:36 PM, J. Oquendo wrote:
> You're flawed in your response: "Public exposure increases the
> visibility, and therefore customersinstall the patches quicker." ...
> When someone "full discloses" a vulnerability, there is no patch to
> install quicker. This is obvious because there is no patch until either
> the vendor releases one, or staff using the product are capable of
> creating a work-around. In the case of the SCADA environment, we (again)
> are not talking about the potential of a defacement, blue screen, silly
> shell, we're talking about sensor, gears and often so much automation
> that it would be absurd for a SCADA engineer to "go it alone" and try
> create their own patch. Many of these systems don't have the option of
> failing or being taken offline. You also state: "Without public
> visibility, they will keep running the old code" the reality is, no one
> is going to outright replace some of these systems in these
> environments. These are not applications and or systems one can plop
> onto donated boxes. They have no choice BUT to run the code.

Actually they have the choice to not run SCADA systems open to the
Internet. If they are so critical that you are "playing with fire" like
you mentioned in another email, why would they be accessible via script
kiddie attack, or any remote over-the-tubes attack? Running SCADA
systems open to the entire Internet is what I would call irresponsible.

At this point, it is academic anyway. The cat is out of the bag. Thanks
Luigi, I at least know about these issues now.

-SN