Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 14:30:41 +0100
From: Security Explorations <contact@...urity-explorations.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: [SE-2011-01] PoC code for digital SAT TV research released

Hello All,

Last year, we disclosed information pertaining to security issues
discovered as a result of our digital satellite TV research [1].

It's been over a year and we haven't received [2] information with
respect to the status and impact of the vulnerabilities found in:
- digital satellite TV set-top-boxes produced by Advanced Digital
   Broadcast [3],
- DVB / MPEG chipsets manufactured by STMicroelectronics [4].

We haven't received important information from Conax AS [5] either.

This in particular concerns a final security level assigned by the
company to set-top boxes and secure DVB chipsets evaluated as part
of Conax security / evaluation process. Conax "rigorous evaluation
and testing regime" [6] missed serious security vulnerabilities
potentially affecting 540 millions [7] of DVB / MPEG chipsets.

Today, a new digital satellite TV platform starts in Poland. It is
called NC+ [8] and it is apparently based on equipment / technology
coming from several vendors, which were affected by security issues
found as part of SE-2011-01 project.

We take the above as a perfect opportunity to verify whether these
vendors had learned anything from the results of our 1.5 years long
research. We assume that they have and that in particular:
- all of security issues discovered as part of our SE-2011-01 project
   have been properly resolved,
- new equipment is considerably harder to hack or use for any SAT TV
   piracy purposes.

We decided to release our Proof of Concept code developed as part of
SE-2011-01 project [9]. Its source code is is available for download
from the following location:

http://www.security-explorations.com/en/SE-2011-01-details.html

We believe that the security community and professionals involved in
a development of digital satellite TV ecosystems should benefit the
most from the release of our Proof of Concept code.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Adam Gowdiak

Security Explorations
http://www.security-explorations.com
"We bring security research to the new level"