From: full-disclosure at ifokr.org (Brian Hatch)
Subject: Symantec Buys SecurityFocus, among others.

> Release exploits with the vaguest of descriptions as to how they work
> (lost for examples -- just copy'n'paste the "technical bits" of some
> of the security bulletins from MS...).  Have the _only_ PoC code a
> compiled binary loaded with copyright notices forbidding reversing,
> etc.  Be sure to use some "encryption" (extremely trivial is OK as
> complexity doesn't matter; can you say XOR?) in the PoC to "protect"
> the important secret (generally the overflow "string" itself).  Be
> capricious in who you prosecute under the DMCA for incoporating
> vulnerability detection of this flaw into their products.  (Many
> other "pro-reversing" laws allow reversing if doing so is the only
> (practical) way to ensure compatibility or system inter-operation --
> this should not be a defense against reversing a security
> vulnerability exploit...)

This and other 'Protect your code with the DMCA' ideas are interesting.
So we lock down our exploits with crappy encryption, hope someone uses
them, and sue.  Hopefully we win, and we get a nice check.

	And the DMCA has just been upheld in court.

We establish case law that indicates the DMCA is valid law, that
it's even supported by Open Source / Full Disclosure advocates.
Next time another Dimitry gets slapped with it, what are we going
to fall back on?

Although amusing to use the 'tools of the enemy', by using them
successfully you strengthen how they can be used against you.
I think this is a bad idea...

--
Brian Hatch                  Friends help you move.
   Systems and                Real friends help

Every message PGP signed