From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: OpenSSL problem: is mod_ssl also vulnerable?

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Thomas Oppel wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 31. Juli 2002 09:13 schrieb Jedi/Sector One:
> > On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 08:50:31AM +0200, Peter Bieringer wrote:
> > > does anyone know whether mod_ssl (used with Apache 1.3) is also
> > > vulnerable. Currently, last version seen on their webpage is 2.8.10
> > > (24 June 2002).
> >
> >   Yes, the OpenSSL vulnerability can be triggered through mod_ssl.
> >
> >   But you don't need a new mod_ssl version to be safe against it. Only
> > bring OpenSSL up to date, and your mod_ssl module will be safe.
>
> And what about apache-2.0.39 with SSL enabled?
> Nothing on apache.org so far.
> apache-2.0.x includes code from the mod_ssl project I guess, right?

The key to the openssl issue is the same here, get fixed openssl sources,
and recompile with them as the reference bases just as with mod-ssl
appache 1.3.x.

Now for those with less then trust worthy local users <smile>, and relying
upon apache 1.3.x/mod-ssl/libmm compiles, there is the additional question
of whther there is a new mm package available.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.