From: cyberfrog at core5.net (Mark Shirley)
Subject: Re: AOL Instant Messenger - Away Setting and Snoopers

certinly, if you don't use the "hide" option people can read your messages.
who cares?  if there is a situation where your computer is on and your aim
message dialaogs or even your aim panel is displayed then the following must
be correct.  1) your computer is currently on 2) no security methods have
been engaged to prevent computer manipulation.  thus it doesn't matter if
you use the hide or not.  if a person wants to know what you're chatting
about there is nothing stopping them from finding out if the previous
situations were true.  anyone that would even CONSIDER this as a "security
option" needs some assistance.  i suppose it depends on what your uses are.
since the very first time i ever used aim i saw this option as a solution of
instant message popup windows of crashing my games when i'm playing them
full screen.  i suppose someone who sees it as a security method would also
see the minimize button as a method of hiding their data as well as the
power button the ultimate form of security.  do you see my point?