From: lists_full-disclosure at darkuncle.net (lists_full-disclosure@...kuncle.net)
Subject: #PHRACK HIGH COUNCIL SPEAKS

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 04:24:12AM -0700, jdyson@...achery.net said:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 phrackbitch@...odbath.co.uk wrote:
>
> > Hacking doesn't need pansy definitions or 60's hippy undertones. There
> > is only one modern definition of hacker. You either hack or you don't.
>
> 	How I miss the days when being a hacker was not synonymous with
> criminal intent; when hacking meant devoting time to one's deep passion
> and understanding of technology rather than a maladjustment that required
> one to piss in everyone else's cornflakes.

Well said. :) Young angst burns hotly, but the Net is full of once-active
anarchist style 'hackers' who have now either disappeared, gone legit ("sold
out") or just grown up/wised up. The same old anti-establishment
hate-it-because-it's-there attitude that's been around for years, but if it's
not combined with a little common sense and intelligence about the world, has
no chance of ever making an effective change.

If the 'pr0ud supp0rt3rz 0f pr0j3kt m4yh3m' really want to effect a change in
the security industry or the Net at large, they would do well to spout less
rhetoric and start taking action and getting involved. Read up on the history
of the Net, and learn from your predecessors. Angst, passion and attitude
may get you noticed, but it won't make any lasting difference unless coupled
with some intelligent action.

> 	If anyone ever wonders why hackers and hacking gets such a bad rap
> in the popular press, they need only reference this "manifesto."
>
> 	And yes, there are Greyhats.  Any old fool can break the rules.
> It takes someone with a modicum of creativity to bend them.

Any old fool can break the rules. The young fools just think they're the
first to do so.

--
-= Scott Francis || darkuncle (at) darkuncle (dot) net =-
  GPG key CB33CCA7 has been revoked; I am now 5537F527