From: gem at rellim.com (Gary E. Miller)
Subject: tradecraft and subversion

Yo Crap Producer!

Catchy handle.  I guess you create all the crap you ever need?

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, crap producer wrote:

> You cannot just redefine words like that. You faggots already stole term
> 'hacker' by making it synonym for 'programmer'. Now you want to steal
> 'blackhat' too?

I think you have the hacker thing sorta backwards.  It is the bad guys
that turned the good term hacker into a bad one.  Note this entry
from the Jargon File:

hack

[very common] 1. n. Originally, a quick job that produces what
is needed, but not well. 2. n. An incredibly good, and perhaps
very time-consuming, piece of work that produces exactly what is
needed. 3. vt. To bear emotionally or physically. "I can't hack this
heat!" 4. vt. To work on something (typically a program). In an
immediate sense: "What are you doing?" "I'm hacking TECO." In a general
(time-extended) sense: "What do you do around here?" "I hack TECO." More
generally, "I hack `foo'" is roughly equivalent to "`foo' is my major
interest (or project)". "I hack solid-state physics." See Hacking X
for Y. 5. vt. To pull a prank on. See sense 2 and hacker (sense 5). 6.
vi. To interact with a computer in a playful and exploratory rather than
goal-directed way. "Whatcha up to?" "Oh, just hacking." 7. n. Short
for hacker. 8. See nethack. 9. [MIT] v. To explore the basements, roof
ledges, and steam tunnels of a large, institutional building, to the
dismay of Physical Plant workers and (since this is usually performed
at educational institutions) the Campus Police. This activity has been
found to be eerily similar to playing adventure games such as Dungeons
and Dragons and Zork. See also vadding.

RGDS
GARY