From: misha at cerber.no (Mikhail Iakovlev)
Subject: THREATCON --> Re: scriptkids on this list

Hello silvio,

Seems to me like a good idea too, did you consider sending your
suggestions to gcc team?

Mik-

sbna> Aplogies Mik :)

sbna> --

sbna> Does anyone think something like hints for compiler should be more
sbna> standardized in specifications or os?

sbna> I mean.. it wold be nice to have something like this in gcc standard
sbna> includes and every other compiler (as optional implementation).

sbna> #define NORETURN

sbna> #if we are in gcc and its implemented
sbna> #undef  NORETURN
sbna> #define NORETURN __attribute__((noreturn))
sbna> #endif

sbna> and then go through things like all the usage functions in your system
sbna> and change them to use it.

sbna> if this were done across the free opensource os's, i'm sure alot of
sbna> people could get involved into submitting patches, since it would be
sbna> only trivial changes.

sbna> for me.. i think noreturn is a good compiler hint.  it makes for smaller
sbna> code, and helps program analysis.  almost every binary on your system
sbna> does an exit in usage(), so these are good places to add this straight off
sbna> the bat, with the entire system thus benefitting.

sbna> I personally dont like the idea of adding attributes directly, since they
sbna> are quite gcc specific. or even using the builtin's to be honest,
sbna> but if they are macro's that can be changed easily, i say even the
sbna> builtin branch prediction and almost everything else should become
sbna> standardized as macro's, which are purely optional in implementation (but
sbna> would be with gcc!).

sbna> --
sbna> Silvio

--