From: sockz at email.com (sockz loves you)
Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS - SANTA DIED LAST YEAR

----- Original Message -----
From: staff <phrackstaff@...ack.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 07:57:21 +0000
To: full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com
Subject: [Full-Disclosure] CALL FOR PAPERS - SANTA DIED LAST YEAR

>     Starting with this 60th edition a new section dedicated to tool
> announcements will be appearing. The section "Tools Armory" will showcase
> selected tools of relevance to the computer underground which have been
> released. Dont bore us with 0day. Limit the submission to tools that have
> already been published or are indended to be published. The tools should
> be related to one of the above topics. Each tool submission should include
> a brief description of the tool, as well as a location to download the
> source code. Send your tools to phrackstaff@...ack.org.

oh dear fucking gawd.  it is not bad enough that phrack.org is making
vulnerbilities redundant with its "papers" on "hacking" (though what's to bet
at least one of these will be on buffer overflows)... they're also moving to
embrace the script kiddy gathering it's aquired at its feet.  i spose there's
no-one left to call 'fans' though.  hackers dont want phrack.org, phrack.org is
the anti-thesis of hackerdom.  all thats really left is wannabes and software
developers.  mm... hacking/phreaking zine indeed.  give me a break :P  the only
thing it has going for it is its longevity.

>     PHRACK MAGAZINE is one of the longest running electronic magazines in
> existence. Since 1985, PHRACK MAGAZINE has been providing the hacker
> community with information on operating systems, network technologies and
> telephony, as well as relaying features of interest for the international

phah!  phrack.org does not provide information for the hacker community.  they
make redundant those techniques employed by the hacker community.  anyone who
believes otherwise is believing a LIE.

> computer underground. PHRACK MAGAZINE is made available to the public, as
> often as possible, free of charge.

though *this* often is not *that* often.  i'm sure its hard to produce an
e-zine about hacking when you're too busy writing advisories that work against
hackers.  maybe an editorial on how this is ethical would be entertaining?

>     This X-MASS Santa's helpers will be working overtime to ensure delivery
> of PHRACK MAGAZINE down every chimney. So, kids, don't forget to put up a
> stocking, preferably with your teenage sister in it...

ATTENTION:  IN THE INTEREST OF HACKER SAFETY THIS CHRISTMAS, PLEASE KEEP ALL
YOUR FIREPLACES LIT AND ALL TEENAGE GIRLS AWAY FROM STOCKINGS, THANKYOU.

people, phrack.org/PHRACK MAGAZINE is not a hacking/phreaking e-zine.  they
have been kicked out of the blackhat/hacking scene because of their double-
crossing ways.  they do nothing to aid hackers, in fact they work against
the hacking scene on many levels.  phrack.org, like any other stereotypical
whitehat group, seeks only fame and glory.  they cling to a misconception...
one i think i might elaborate on here and now.

when i first read Eric S Raymond's thoughts on gift cultures and the hacking
community, i have to admit my ideas of closed source were challenged.  ESR's
ideas of a Hacker Gift Culture revolve around the central idea that the
hacker community measures power and wealth/etc not by how much you have (as
in real life in terms of material possessions, capital wealth etc), but by
how much you give away (the size of your gift to the community).  i'm sure
this is all old news to a nerd herd like Full Disclosure.

if its not then you can find a copy of the article i refer to here:
http://tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/homesteading/ar01s06.html

"The Hacker Milieu as Gift Culture" was an article that changed my ways for
a couple years.  i started to do things for other people.  if i found a bug
i would tell all my friends/whoever it affected, and tell them how to fix it.
yes, at once stage i guess you could have called me a whitehat.  though i was
never in the mainstream of it all.  i have changed.  why have i changed?
because i realised that even though the 'gifts' i was giving to the
communities i was involved in were useful, even though they were reflective of
a brain that could think, they were destructive gifts.  gifts that when you
opened the box would blow up in the hacker's face.  they supported my own
greed for scene status and not the greater good.

what am i on about?  people have gone in the wrong direction with this whole
giving-orientated economy we have online.  we have turned it into a capitalist
system where scene status is of upmost importance.  people no longer think in
terms of code, they think in terms of money.  in the case of phrack.org, the
gifts they claim to give to the hacker industry are on par with giving someone
a wooden tissue box cover thing for christmas... with dimensions that don't
match your standardised tissue boxes (and yes, i know this is a shitty gift
because i know ppl who have recieved such things for christmas and they thought
it was shitty too, despite being from loved ones).  ppl dont want that shit for
christmas.  they want more diskspace, a holiday to some tropical location,
turntables, a car, some ppl just want lots of eggnog and lots of sex.  ppl are
different.  but i bet none of you would want a wooden tissue box.

my point: phrack.org insults the hacking community by giving them wooden tissue
boxes for christmas and calling those tissue boxes "hot slut with root at
nasa.gov".

but what do hackers get?  do they get root at nasa.gov?  well... maybe, but not
from phrack.org.  all they get from this e-zine is fucking wooden tissue boxes!

phrack.org needs to take a good hard look at what they really are verus what
they think they are.  if the zine wants to continue to support script kiddies
and the like, then so be it.  but they should not be allowed to use the phrack
name in such a sacreligious manner.  they should rename themselves "phuck"

"Phuck: Fucking over the h/p scene since 1985"

or something.  anyway that's all i'm going to say for now.  sorry if this post
hasn't been as clear as my previous posts.  lack of sleep ownz me.

<3 sockz