From: phc at hushmail.com (phc@...hmail.com)
Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS - SANTA DIED LAST YEAR

staff wrote:
> [-]=====================================================================[-]
>
>    ,               ,
>   / \   .     ,   / \
>  |/\ \  |\_,_/|  / /\|       TELL SANTA TO FSCK OFF - PHRACK MAGAZINE
>  || \ |.-"   "-.| / ||           IS BRINGING THE GIFTS THIS YEAR.
>  ||  / -.\\ //.- \  ||
>  \\_ |  /o`^'o\  | _//  CALL FOR PAPERS * CALL FOR PAPERS * CALL FOR PAPERS
>   `--|  `"/ \"`  |--`   CALL FOR PAPERS * CALL FOR PAPERS * CALL FOR PAPERS
>      ; |\__"__/| ;      CALL FOR PAPERS * CALL FOR PAPERS * CALL FOR PAPERS
>       \\ \/^\/ //       CALL FOR PAPERS * CALL FOR PAPERS * CALL FOR PAPERS
>        \\     //        CALL FOR PAPERS * CALL FOR PAPERS * CALL FOR PAPERS
>     jgs \\^.^//
>          \`"`/           Deadline: Friday the 13th of December
>           `'`            http://www.phrack.org/cfp_p60.txt
>
>                          PHRACK MAGAZINE #60 IS COMING!

After the atrocious Phrack #59 one would have thought you would have given up
by now... apparently not.

The REAL Phrack (#phrack High Council) would like to ask you (the FAKE Phrack)
a few simple questions with regards to Phrack #60:

	* Will Phrack #60 be articles written mostly by TESO/HERT/THC members?
	* Will Phrack #60 reveal techniques to the whitehat community that
	  have been known by the blackhat community for years?
	* Will Phrack #60 contain papers which detail things already known by
	  everybody and attempt to pass it off as a revolutionary idea that is
	  plagued by ethical bullshit such as post-dated source release so
	  that the vendors can provide fixes? (See p59-0x0b.txt)
	* Will stealth be banned from writing anymore severely poor articles?
	* Will Phrack #60 be lacking good (by your standards) articles, thus
	  forcing you to pad it with lame crap like fingerboarding tricks?
	* Will it be the last Phrack? Mr. Schiffman already threw in the
	  towel... when will the 'anonymous' (see ~el8.3) staff give up?

>     The sixtieth edition of PHRACK MAGAZINE is going to be released on
> December 25th as an X-MESS present to the community. To make this milestone
> edition of PHRACK MAGAZINE a quality release, the PHRACK MAGAZINE editorial
> staff are soliciting papers from the community. PHRACK MAGAZINE is reliant
> on authors submitting papers for publication, so take advantage of this
> opportunity to be a part of the X-MASS Special Edition. Papers can be on
> any topic related to the following:
>
>         - hacking
>         - phreaking
>         - cryptography
>         - security
>         - spying
>         - forensics
>         - radio
>         - broadcasting
>         - anarchy
>         - coding
>         - conspiracy
>         - world news

It looks like you missed 'shellcode for totally irrelevant architectures'.

But, really, if someone cares to know how to write PDP/11 shellcode, which
we're sure will get covered sooner or later, why can't they just download the
fucking architecture manuals and read them?

>     The call for papers starts on Monday the 14th of October, and new
> papers will be accepted up until Friday the 13th of December. Editorial
> changes to the papers can be submitted until Friday the 20th of December.
>
>     The PHRACK MAGAZINE editors suggest that papers be submitted as early
> as possible to help resolve conflicts (e.g. multiple articles on the same
> topic), and to enable the editors to provide maximum assistance in the
> production of high-quality articles.

What you really mean is so you can tell if the next issue will be an abysmal
flop, like the previous issue.

Why do you even need article submissions when the TESO/HERT/THC machine is
running fine?

Actually, it's rather odd how you complain that there are no good articles
being submitted. Looking at previous issues, 90% of the articles are written
by TESO/HERT/THC members. Are you mocking your own skill level?

>     Starting with this 60th edition a new section dedicated to tool
> announcements will be appearing. The section "Tools Armory" will showcase
> selected tools of relevance to the computer underground which have been
> released. Dont bore us with 0day. Limit the submission to tools that have
> already been published or are indended to be published. The tools should
> be related to one of the above topics. Each tool submission should include
> a brief description of the tool, as well as a location to download the
> source code. Send your tools to phrackstaff@...ack.org.

A "Tools Armory"? You must be more desperate than we had originally thought.

>    The PHRACK MAGAZINE staff is also looking for people who have been
> busted, or who have been contacted by feds (or by special services) in
> their country. The PHRACK MAGAZINE staff would like to collect information
> from these people to write a paper on how the feds operate and how a bust
> is conducted. If you got busted please send information to
> igotbusted@...ack.org. Or, if you bust people please send information to
> ibust@...ack.org.

That could, quite possibly, be the best thing in the entire issue. But taking
into account that the target audience consists of whitehats who will never be
the target of an FBI raid -- it makes the paper redundant, don't you think?

>     PHRACK MAGAZINE is one of the longest running electronic magazines in
> existence. Since 1985, PHRACK MAGAZINE has been providing the hacker
> community with information on operating systems, network technologies and
> telephony, as well as relaying features of interest for the international
> computer underground. PHRACK MAGAZINE is made available to the public, as
> often as possible, free of charge.

Phrack Magazine has been a security ezine for a long time now. Not the
hacking/phreaking zine it once was. Even when route took over it at issue 48,
it was still hacker-centric for some time. Then it started changing a few
issues later. No longer was it an anti-establishment hacker zine, but a zine
where whitehats can discuss new IDS paradigms and other related shit for
"keeping hackers out".

2 lousy issues a year signifies "as often as possible"?

Phrack Magazine doen't provide the 'hacker community' with shit. The real
hacker community consists of talented people who use their skills to
actively break into systems -- people who already know whatever information
you can hope to provide.

You merely provide the uninformed whitehats with minimalistic details of a
small fraction of the techniques being used to evade defenses put in place on
systems to keep "evil hackers" out.

There are skilled programmers and there are skilled hackers. The skill of the
authors is not necessarily in question, but just remember, there are millions
of programmers in the world. Skill alone does not make one a hacker.

>     This X-MASS Santa's helpers will be working overtime to ensure delivery
> of PHRACK MAGAZINE down every chimney. So, kids, don't forget to put up a
> stocking, preferably with your teenage sister in it...

The PHC fire will be burning all night long.

> Sincerely,
>
> PHRACK MAGAZINE STAFF
> phrackstaff@...ack.org

Oh, and another thing. You don't deserve the domain 'phrack.org'. Please give
it to its rightful owners -- people who will utilize the domain to bring
information on whiteh8 and pr0j3kt m4yhem to the masses of people supporting
the campaign.

> All issues of PHRACK MAGAZINE are available from http://www.phrack.org

All leaked issues of PHRACK MAGAZINE are available from http://phrack.efnet.ru

Signed,
Phrack High Council.
Join us to teach and learn -- #phrack @ efnet
http://phrack.efnet.ru
phc@...hmail.com

P.S: Sending your call for papers to vuln-dev is sure to bring the highest
quality articles to Phrack #60. Good move.

P.P.S: We've all witnessed your attempt to make a profit by selling t-shirts.
We were just wondering... when will Phrack mouse mats, coffee mugs, baseball
caps, pens, headed paper, general stationery, boxer shorts, sweaters, plate
logos, skyper action figures, gamma real dolls, etc. be available? Not to
forget the upcoming Syngress book, "Hack Proofing Your Whitehat", authored by
Phrack Staff with the unemployed Blue Boar as technical editor (note to our
supporters: the book will be available on phrack.efnet.ru on the day it is
published).

With all this incredible merchandise, it might be a worthy idea to purchase
phrackmall.com / phrackstore.com to handle your commercial side of business.

Perhaps phrack.COM should become, once again, the primary Phrack domain, thus
advertizing your commercial intents. Or is route refusing to give you the
domain because he's still bitter that TESO/HERT/THC ripped the zine out of his
hands and completely fucked it over?

P.P.P.S: A lot of the Phrack Staff work in the security industry or for vendors.