From: anakata at anakata.hack.se (anakata)
Subject: (no subject) PS

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Boris Lorenz wrote:
> > P.S - I forgot to mention, I did not make that post because I support
> > blackhats and what they do. I made that post because I support the
> > intellectual freedom the internet gives us, and I believe it is
> > something very precious indeed. I don't want to see it locked down by
> > governments and crippled due to a paranoid response to the security
> > risks, made so evident by people such as PHC. You are only providing
> > them with another excuse to limit our electronic freedom, which is
> > much more valuable than the freedom to break into machines with 0-day
> > exploits.
> spot on, Euan. I couldn't have said it better myself.
The problem with this line of reasoning is that this paranoid response to
the security risks isn't caused by the (few) blackhats.
It's caused and sustained by the security industry - who obviously are
the FUD-mongers - aided by the armies of script kiddies - who are
responsible for almost all damage and intrusions - which their practice of
full disclosure creates.
Thus, ending this practice will _increase_ freedom.

--- anakata <anakata@...k.se>, Corpus Hypercubus
http://www.anakata.hack.se, IRC: {ef,irc,dal,slash}net, regular of #hack.se/efnet
Cogito, ergo infestus sum. [I think, therefore I am dangerous.]