From: es at hush.com (es@...h.com)
Subject: [ElectronicSouls] - Our Novel

Dear List,

We began writing a novel last year on hacking, here is some of our
research material we compiled for it.  If you would like to assist us
in writing this book, please let us know!@...!

# cat HackersBeta.txt

       HACKERS in the new millenium
       ***********************************

       (C) BrainStorm [ElectronicSouls] - 2001

       1. Introduction

       2. the new generation
       -   2.1  packet kiddies
       -   2.2  packet kiddies

       3. the oldschool mind
       4. The good and the bad side
       5. keep the spirit alive

1) Introduction

well in this new millenium, with all his new features such as auto hacking
programs and the unicode exploits that make "hacking" soooo easy, the only
thing needed to call yourselve a hacker seems to be a computer connected to
the interned and 3 brain cells

      1. to boot up your krad windoze 2k system
      2. to connect to the internet
      3. to run a application that "hacks" for you.. echo "1 0wn j00" >> index.html

well some of them saw that some ppl wrote their mail address on a defaced
site, and told them about the bug and how to fix it ..so they copy it that
ppl dont call them crackers and their friends think they are elite
white-hat-hackers ..umm thats the problem, cuz in my oppinion there are not
only hackers & crackers, today our scene has born a new generation the
script kids and packet kiddies.. and btw a white-hat-hacker would never ever
break into a system, if he discovers a bug he wouldnt exploit it, he would
mail the admin.

2) The new Generation

the new generation is divided into two categorys.  1st we have the script
kids and 2nd we got our packet kiddies who love to takedown servers, because
they think it makes them elite. well those kind of ppl are either the kids
who dont have friends in real life so they can play hero on the internet, or
they are those people in real life who allways look for a fight.
idiots,scum,morons or however you want to call em. there is no chance to
bring them on the right way, thats a dissfunction in the brain. those are
the guys who give our scene a false color in the media, cuz you will never
see on cnn.com "new local exploit coded by <insert-name-here> - go get a fix
from www....." ,but you allways see stuff like: "HACKERS ATTACKED
WWW.WHOGIVESAFUCK.COM" ..you know what i mean ?

2.1) script kids

the ppl with 4 brain cells, they are a bit more skilled then the packet
kids, since they can run exploits downloaded from the net, h4v3 3l1t3
t4lk1ng 5k1lLz aswell as a clue on how to edit the index.html with pico (vi
is to advanced). they overwrite stuff, install pr-compiled backdoors (some
of them even got 5 brain cells to gcc exp.c -o exploit ..awsome) and totally
fuck up your configuration since they dont have a fucking clue what the hell
this shit is all about..dont try to tell them to read a book, since they
answer like "wtf i dont have time to wait months to read a lame book, i just
want to hack www.blah.com can you teach me how?" ..for real they just try to
look like hackers, since learning tons of stuff over years is just too much
todo for them..they dont want to spend lots of time..all they want is r00t
to fuck a system up or use it as bnc for irc or their favorite - deface the
website to say: "hey i hacked j00 im soo00oo kr4d" ..oh my god, i would
shoot myselve..

2.2) packet kiddie

oh there is not much to tell about them, since they seem to never been at
school in their whole life..those are the most ignorant and stupid people in
the cyberspace! the only thing they are able todo is to take down some
websites with huge service requests that will result in a server crash, so
called DoS (Denial of Service) ..nowdays they use advanced DoS technics.
they put a few hosts together so they have more bandwidth and the attack
comes from lots of systems. Those applications are called Distributed Denial
of Service. its a client/server application that sends the attack
information (like the victim ip) to all the servers and they will start to
attack that host, that looks like:

                                "server recives request"
        "attack victim"             I
               I        ____________O\   "Distributed attack"
               I      / __________O\   \    I
               I    /  /             \   \  I
packet-kiddie -----<--<----------O--------0====> victim
                    \  \__________O/   /
                      \_____________O/

" O " - host with DDoS server installed
" = " - all bandwith together against 1 host

those attacks produce a lot of traffic. efnet's hubs ,for example, got
attacked with 3GB/s (!) that is at no point hacking, it is destruction.

that is the way crackers took down huge internet sites and stuff like
backbones or hubs. the only reason to do this is to destroy, there is no
good reason todo this (besides taking down kiddiep0rn sites or racism shit i
think). 99.9% of the DDoS attacks are produced by kiddies with little to no
skill at all. mostly someone teachs them how to use this and that tool
.like on defacements i also saw stuff like "and thx to <name> for teaching
me how to hack using unicode" that is at no point hacking. the ideas of
those bugs came from real hackers, but are never really used by them since
hackers discover DoS while searching for exploitable bugs and sometimes code
proof-of-concept DoS code, that mostly (should) stay private, but offten
stuff gets leeked and on the fact that we dont have a real use for it we
make it public and that gives stupid ppl access to dangerouse code, but the
main reason we do it, is to inform the vendor and admins about this bug to
fix their services.

3.) the old school mind

well i think i can call myselve old school, since my 1st system was a
commodore C64 that i got when i was like 6 years. (this is at no point the
thinking of *all* hackers out there, but it is a example on how one of these
people think, well i dont think im the onlyone who belives in what im
writing down here..it is just out of my mind) on this system i did my first
steps into programming, because there was a book that had explained the
C64-BASIC programming language ..well i didnt understand most parts at first
and only played the funny games for years and when i was like 8 or 9 i did a
mistake and executed a few commands..then the program source code poped up
and i was like WOW i can change stuff thats awsome..i changed the text a
bit, since i didnt really know what this all means, but i keept playing with
those codes. some day i thought of this book i had and started to write on
of those example programs in the book..it was so cool to see animated stuff
that i made myselve ..over the years i keept learning stuff and in like 1995
i got my 1st own x86 personal computer with DOS (Disk Operating System) and
Windoze 3.11 ..uh oh ..that wasnt so cool as i thought ..then win95 came out
and i got my 1st ISP (internetServiceProvider) and a 28.8 modem. i started
to explore the internet with stuff i was interessted in at this time. i was
fascinated from all this information out there then i thought of
programming, since i also wanted to be able to write my own stuff, cuz the
windows all looked so boring and i wanted to code my own stuff..so i was
looking for the basic language (since i did C64basic) and found VB (visual
basic) ..and at first i though it was cool, but you couldnt see whats
happening on your system, you couldnt change shit and you never saw any
source code and i searched for applications for reverse engineering. i also
did read every text file i could find and on that way i discovered a new
part of the computer world, it sounded so interessting..like all the stuff i
dreamed to do and lots more, but the problem was they talked about something
called UNIX all the time and BBS's ..that was about the time i first dialed
up a BBS system.. and it was like the chemical rush after you took pills on
a rave.. it had feelings like never before..all those informations and all
those computer related things, i never thought there would be so much..i
couldnt stop to read new files i could find, or test new codes..i was
allways reading the source code, because on that way you understand some
parts for yourselve, without reading a huge book - learning-by-doing ..that
doesnt mean you look trough 1 or 2 codes and are able to code in that
language, but it gives you a better understanding on how things work (i you
dont have an IQ of a packet/script kiddie). well back in the days, defacing
a website wasnt the result of a script kiddie using a wu exploit, it was
rather an act of a real hacker to show of the security risks on the systems
(in these days BBS hacking was usuall) or crackers who fighted with the
admin that said "you'll never get access" ..they all had knowledge (mostly)
since you still needed programming skills and knowledge about different
systems (yo kids whats a VAX, eh?) phreaking knowledge for lower costs ;)
and well a sense of a genius..lots of ideas came up, new technics that keept
us all together in a small scene of insiders..well there also have been
wars, but not like nowdays..it was all about communication and free speech..
nowday the spirit is mostly lost, what makes me sad ..you dont need to have
programming skillz, nor any knowledge about different setups and
platforms..you just need to know how to use a shell account that the kids
access from windoze telnet and do gcc l33t.c -o krad then ./krad
www.victim.com and they got root.. where is the seeking for knowledge ?
where is all the fun ? where are all the real hackers - want to know? they
sit in offices and work totally legal since they gave up hacking.. because
the police and media is after us ...all we want is freedom of information
and thats what i live for! i dont like restrictions, only used to protect
private data such as personal information,bank/social accounts,weapon/bomb
plans that just means sensitive data that is dangerouse such as
atomic/biological weapon or the like..but data that could be usefull for
ever nation should be free! well how to choose what the right information is
? well everyone who isnt fucked in the head will understand what i am
talking about. hackers are the people who made the computers, they made they
internet, your firewall and the whole security on the world wide web came
from hackers white,gray or black no matter, those are the people who protect
your system from attackers. let me give you an example. a hackers discovers
a hole in on of your services. he use it to get access to your server and
because the service was running as root, he got uid=0 now, that means full
access to the system, so he starts to fix the hole he used to access, then
looks for other bugs and fix them aswell, since he want to stay on your
system to learn, not to harm you or tell your secrets the whole world. he
secures your system against attackers and since he will try to keep the root
he got he will also fix new security holes so that noone else will get
access. now let me ask you something, isnt that nice ? i mean he works as
free administrator, you dont have to pay shit, all he wants in return is to
keep the account on your system to get more knowledge about different
systems/platforms and setups. he is not here to spy on you and destroy your
files, cuz if he wanted to do that you would be toasted in a few minutes, he
could fuck up your whole network..but he wont do it, cuz he cant see any use
out of destroying without a real reason. and in 99.9% there is no real
reason to attack someone.

4.) The Good an the bad side

GOOD:

White Hat Hackers
 They never do anything illegal, they never actually break
 into a system, if they discover a bug the inform the administrator as soon
 as possible.  white hats work on open source projects, patches,
 IntrusionDetectionSystems and mostly Security/Administration stuff

Gray  Hat Hackers
 The gray hat hacker is his own judge, he works on the good
 side, but actually is called criminal since he breaks into systems and
 people offten call them crackers because they also deface sometimes to show
 admins what can happen, but on the fact that they backup the old html and
 patch the holes, there is no destruction at all. they do the work for the
 lazy admins and only hack to get more knowledge, they just love exploring
 new things and how they work.

Black Hat Hackers
 well i dont know much about the blackhat scene, since
 there arent only crackers, but they also start DoS attacks, but never
 without a reason..they are like the army of the hacking scene, but well
 that doesnt mean they protect us other hackers, they just think of their
 own and maybe their crew ..(to be continued)

BAD:

Crackers
 Those are the most skilled out of the bad ppl..well script kids
 also act like crackers but they are a bit dumber..crackers rip our codes,
 steal data and destroy for fun.  (to be continued)

Packet Kiddies
 well there isnt much to say ..kiddies with no life, no skill
 and no brain attack servers or personal computers on irc, because thats the
 only thing they can do and they dont need to read a huge book on how the
 program works ..its just like ./3v1lDoS -v www.victim.com -p 10000 or
 something like that and they hit a poor server with lots of requests until
 he dies...  thats just like in real life those people who you cant talk

 with..they only want to fight and try to look like they would have ueber
 elite skills, but in fact those are the lamest of all.

Script Kiddies
 the ueber lamers are here, the only thing those morons can do
 is to deface websites, no matter what shitty page they hit, some guy from
 Hackweiser even installed apache on a server he owned only so that he can
 deface it !@# the proof-of-concept-lameness ..the only skill they got is to
 download some exploits from a website and if they can compile it (wow
 nowdays there are .exe exploits, so its even more easy to deface a site)
 they scan for some vulnerable systems, if they cant compile it they will
 say "fuck it" otherwise they feel special and "now i am a real elite
 hacker" thats all bullshit, but you cant change their mind, since they
 think they are ueber ..and answer with shit like "stfu 1 0wn j00!!!" ..just
 point laugh at them and ignore it, cuz i once tryed to school a complete
 idiot but its not possible cuz they allways try to look better than you in
 front of their friends..  back in the days we all had respect of those
 skilled hackers who wrote code and textfiles for us to learn.  now they
 just try to look cool ..no matter who they are talking to..like if they
 dont have any arguments they either kick/ban you from a channel or try to
 DoS you so, after you leaved, they can say "i owned him, now hes scared for
 life !!haha im elite" and all the kiddie friends are like "woow you are
 sooo l33t" show me how to hack a website man" and he'll feel special and
 elite ..but in fact they are lame gay asses.  they dont want to learn, they
 want answers..they dont like to work on things for hours until it works,
 they give up after a few minutes..if you cant search your answers yourselve
 (hint! www.altavista.com) then you'll never be a hacker ..it isnt wrong to
 ask questions, but they *only* ask questions and want answers discovering
 stuff doesnt make them feel good, it makes them bored, since they dont
 understand shit and would have to read up tons of stuff that they could
 know allready if they wouldnt have wasted 3 years to get all the newest and
 best DoS and *Hacking* "toolz" out of the net..now they wonder why they got
 3 million "hacking" applications, but he still cant 0wn www.aol.com to be
 called extra elite by his buddys...

AOL    Kiddies
 Absolutely no skill at all, besides coding DoS applications
 for AOL to kick ppl out of the chat..  they are not into hacking at all
 (well nowdays i bet they all know how to *hack* with unicode :P ) tell them
 to get a unix operating system or shoot themselves..

 5.) Keep the Spirit alive !

well at this point all i want to say is that i dont wrote this to offend
some people or try to change the scene, cuz its just not possible, there
will ever be lamers like in /dev/real_life .. we are here to change the
world and sometimes things are illegal and are good that they are, cuz
everything good can be turned into something bad and as soon as hacking
would be legal it would be choas everywhere, well we are the secret heros of
this new millenium, we started the internet, we started to use protection
systems, we create them and set them up for the business, but still we are
inside of mostly every system and you wont notice us, since we are your
wetware firewall. if we wouldnt explore your systems, we also wouldnt
discover and fix your bugs so script kiddies would fuck your business up and
you would lose your life ..because of all those ./kids the media is using
the term hacker as either bad people or white hat hackers..since we tryed to
correct that they use hackers as whitehat and everything else are crackers
or script kids ..thats wrong, but you'll probably never understand us until
you learn to be one of us. to all those wo are left from the good old days,
keep the spirit alive ! i respect all of you, as long as you belive in the
unwritten hacker ethics, cuz they only exist in your mind. you cant "learn"
to be a hacker, you have to feel it ..the "chemical rush" =) ..well thats
about all i got to say for now, again i want to remind you that this came
out of my mind and i just represent my on views. i think its enough now..i
hope you learned about the digital world, it never sleeps, it never stops to
grow and it never will be without its keepers.

(C) 2001-07-17 - 1st version
     no spell check or whatever, i just wrote it and
    wont read trough it now.  if you feel there is something wrong, discuss
    it with me, visit us either on efnet #!ElectronicSouls or mail me at:
    BrainStorm@...ctronicSouls.zzn.com

[EOF]

@

The Electronic Souls Crew
[ElectronicSouls] (c) 2002

"This one was dated so you know it isn't 7 years old!"

Big $$$ to be made with the HushMail Affiliate Program: