From: steve at entrenchtech.com (Steve W. Manzuik)
Subject: Security Industry Under Scrutiny: Part 3

> First off I want to say that I'm extremely open to
> intelligent debate.  The key word in that statement being
> "intelligent".  I am no longer paying attention to personal
> attacks, or people who try to use buzz-words and trendy
> phrases as the basis for their logic.  YOU PEOPLE SUCK!

This was a really good post, I think you touched on some good points that I would like to comment on.

> In light of who will access this vuln information we can now
> pinpoint a few areas in need of critcal improvement.  First
> of all is the proof of concept code being released into the
> wild via the whitehats website.  Removing tools from the net
> means that you remove the threat of socially inapt morons

The problem with this is that there will always be someone who feels it is their right (free speech and all that jazz) to post what they want on their website and there will always be those who write/post exploit coide.  How do you propose that this is prevented?

> (who have really good s34rch 3ng1n3 sk1llz ph33r) finding the
> information and using it to exploit others.  If you don't
> like this idea, or if you rely upon the internet to transfer
> proof of concept code to someone who is legitmately seeking
> to improve security then why not implement another measure,
> make this information harder to get.  You could try a
> 'members only' section, or ask people to email you with a
> good reason why they should have a copy of the code.  Of
> course these solutions can be a bit dodgy... It would be
> great to hear some suggestions from the community... (yes,
> this is a subtle hint).

Unfortunately history has proven that even your trusted sys-admin could be a script kiddie or malicious.  How to you prevent the code from being distributed?  Time bombed binaries?  What about the inept software vendors who *require* proof of concept code before they even consider looking at a problem?  What about organizations like CERT who has had proof of concept code mysteriously leak?  What about vendors who will only give patches to companies who "donate" or pay for them?  What about the poor one or two man open source project that while they are creating a great free product don't have the first idea on how to fix a specific issue?

I don't think that any system is foolproof.  A persistant person could get himself access to the members only stuff and convince people to share code.  I don't see how you can effectively police this other than killing full disclosure completely which I don't think is a good option.  Yes, full disclosure is flawed but I think it is less flawed than the alternatives.

> In this case, we're saying that an advisory, which contain
> information on how to compromise a system, is not the kind of
> information that should be available to just *anyone*.  I
> think there are two main problems with mailing lists:

So you expect mailing list moderators to be the judge of who deserves what?  How do you ensure that the moderator of the mailing list is acting ethically and in good faith?  Are you willing to put that trust into the hands of mailing list moderators?

> a) Moderators should be doing more to ensure that the kinds
> of advisories that
>    make it to the list aren't the kind that can be used to
> compromise systems.
>    We need to be more careful about what we're telling
> society.  Some secrets
>    are better kept from others because they are secrets that
> can _destroy_
>    others.

So, as a moderator of a mailing list if I receive an advisory that contains specific exploit information I should edit that post or retype it without explicit information before letting it through?  I have a feeling many of the contributors to mailing lists would have a big problem with that.  What makes any moderator qualified to decide what is right and what is wrong?  Sure, common sense can kick in and play a role but in some cases just a general description of a problem is enough to make others look at it and find the hole.

As someone who came from an IT background, I liked getting the full details so that I could test ways to mitigate the risk, especially if a patch wasn't available.  My mistrust of vendors at the time also made me test patches.  I realize that this isn't the norm in the IT world but it was for mine.

>    society who are not bound by any professional ethic to
> improve security.
>    Unlike software vendors, whitehats, and system admins,
> these people can get
>    away with harbouring malicious intentions because they are
> not expected to
>    act any differently.

Again, history has proven that even so called whitehats and system admins can cross the line and be malicious with their knowledge.  Ever have to go into an organization and "clean up" after a sys-admin was let go from his job?  Your plans work great on the assumption that all "whitehats" and sys-admins are ethical and professional -- most are but it only takes a few bad apples.

> 1. I make cute ascii diagrams, doncha think?

Yeah :-)

> 2. We need to place better control measures in the following areas:
>         a) What moderators consider to be "acceptable" advisories
>         b) On whitehat websites that provide proof of concept code
>         c) Lists in general, because they are read by evil
> ppl and not just good

I would love to hear some ideas on how we control this.  We already do a.) to a point at Vulnwatch but I really don't think it is my place to tell a contributor how much detail to post or to deny a post just because the person did not work with the vendor.  Yes, I try to talk to that person and see why they choose to do what they do but in the end I still let the advisory through.  If someone was to post "Here are directions on how to own XYZ company" of course that should not make it to the list.

> 3. The security industry is getting a bad name for itself
> because of money-
>    grabbing "security consultants" and participants who leech
> information to be
>    used for malicious activities.  We need to find a way to
> remove these kinds
>    of people from the system.

So are you saying that all security consultants are bad?  While I agree that there is a large number of them out there that have no business collecting paychecks for what they do I don't think that they are all bad.  Again, it only takes a few bad apples.  Is it a bad thing as a consultant to help a client setup a firewall properly, or install and teach them how to use Snort?  No, I don't think it is as long as you leave your customer in a more secure state than before and as long as you leave the customer with knowledge I don't see the problem.  You are educating those who need to be educated to protect their business.

> A new industry standard for operating business?
>  Yes.

Great, but this will simply create work for the security consultants out there to "help clients get to and maintain the new standard."  Shit we have already seen this in the USA with HIPAA and more recently in Canada with Bill C-6.  This will feed the beasts.

> Tighter cyber-laws for websites that seem to tell ppl "how to
> hack"?  Yes.

So how about we license pen-testers and consultants too?  Of course I am being sarcastic here, what would this do to someone or a group of researchers who create code but keep it for themselves?  What happens when that person or group gets owned and the code is leaked?  So the USA passes a law preventing this kind of information -- we already know the rest of the world won't follow.  There will always be somewhere to put your website of how-to information and tools.  So what do we do?  Own the sites and wipe their drives?  What gives anyone the right to do this or to judge?

> Let's start being more responsible with our work.  Let's stop
> rewarding malicious people with ready-to-go exploits.  Let's
> stop educating our enemies.

But, (and I think you are asking the same question in this post) how do we educate those who need to be educated and prevent the enemies from getting the information?  There will always be bad people with knowledge and power.

- -Steve