From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Schmehl, Paul L)
Subject: Australia becomes a police state [serious]

What this has to do with full disclosure, I'm at a loss to say.  But
since your bring it up, I'll ask you to ask yourself one question.  You
don't need to answer to the list.  And anyone who wants to can answer
this question for themselves as well.

How do you stop someone from blowing up a building *before* they blow it
up?  If you can honestly answer that, you've come a long way toward
understanding what a difficult position governments are in trying to
deal with the problem of terrorism.

In the end it comes down to who do you fear more?  The government (your
government) that may exceed its constitutionally proscribed powers in
the pursuit of terrorists?  Or the terrorist, who knows no law and has
only one goal in mind - to kill you and as many other people as he or
she can?

I don't need you to give *me* your answer.  I'm struggling with the same
questions myself.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
TCS Department Coordinator
The University of Texas at Dallas