From: BlueBoar at thievco.com (Blue Boar)
Subject: How often are IE security holes exploited?

Nick FitzGerald wrote:
> What happens is one or two exploits become commonly used after a
> virus using them is itself somewhat "successful" (always a relative
> term) at spreading in the wild.  My impression is that this is
> largely a function of lack of skill/interest/inspiration on the part
> of the virus writers.  (Many familiar with my views on the typical
> skill levl of virus writers are likely to be getting all riled up
> about now, but please engage your thinking processes and bear
> with me...)
>
> In general, most viruses are derivative works, drawing on what has
> gone before.  This is alsmot equally true of "new" families of
> viruses as it is of the hoardes of (mainly) trivial variants of
> existing viruses we continually see.  This is not to say that all
> virus writers are clueless and unimaginative, but for many even the
> notion that adding "C:\WINNT" to the hard-coded list of Windows
> installation directories they test for the existence of whatever is
> more than they are capable of...

I would tend to agree with you.  I think another reason for poor coding on
malicious code in general is that I imagine it can be somewhat difficult to
test.  I'd guess that most malicious code authors don't a lab environment
that allows them to sufficiently simulate the Internet and the combinations
of OSes, etc.. that they want to target.

> So, imagine what happens when one virus writer "imaginatively" adds
> an exploit for some IE security hole that allows "auto-run simply
> from reading an Email message" functionality to a self-mailing virus?
>
> That's right -- a few other virus writers copy the idea.  Do they do
> it by looking through the Bugtraq archives to find a _different_
> exploitable security hole and tweaking an exploit to their needs?
>
> Nah -- they grab the virus' source code if it is available, or an
> Email message "infected" with the virus in question if it became at
> all widespread and they thus have access to a sample, and they more
> or less copy what they see.  Of course, those who think of themselves
> as especially imaginative will add a random string generator so the
> MIME section headers will not be the same in all messages their virus
> generates, but that's about the extent of "innovation" we see.

Nimda uses the X-audio exploit to try to autorun when you render the HTML
in IE or Outlook.  Earlier this year, there was another bug in the same
vein that was a direct functional equivalent, but because it came later,
wasn't patched, etc... I fully expected it to get used quickly, and I don't
think it did.

>>...  The KaK and Klez worms both use IE security holes to do their
>>dirty work, but most other Windows viruses seem to rely on social
>>engineering and standard features of Microsoft products.
>
> I disagree, at least for the things that have had any degree of
> "success".  For example, just recently, at least some varaiants of
> the Bugbear, Oror, Winevar, Holar, Braid, Frethem and Yaha families
> have used one or other (and some both) of the vulnerabilities I
> mentioned above.  And going back a bit further, BadTrans, Nimda and
> SirCam all spring to mind (though I haven't checked).

Don't forget that if you're patched against the vulnerability, you usually
still have the opportunity to manually launch the attachment.  Thus, the SE
method is still there as a backup, and I'd say a large portion of them can
still be counted as using it.

As an interesting side-effect, when they attach things in such a way as to
take advantage of IE-isms, they often break the attachment on other
platforms.  Most of my MC mail I get in my Mozilla mail client just shows
as a dot.  If I want the attachment, I have to manually decode it.

> Oh, and don't forget CodeRed (and Nimda also exploited the same
> vulnerability).

Code Red and Nimda did not take advantage of any of the same
vulnerabilities.  Code Red was strictly a single-vulnerability worm, and
affected only IIS servers, didn't have any IE exploit.  Now, Nimda did try
to look for root.exe (CodeRed2, Sadmind, manual attacks from "China Cyber
War") and the /C and /D mappings (CodeRed2) backdoors, but that's not quite
the same thing.

						BB