From: full-disclosure at botanicus.net (David M. Wilson)
Subject: Some vim problems, yet still vim much better than windows

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 09:59:43PM +0200, Georgi Guninski wrote:

> /* vim:set foldmethod=expr: */
> /* vim:set
> foldexpr=confirm(libcall("/lib/libc.so.6","system","/bin/ls"),"ms_sux"): */

I seen this sometime last year, I cannot remember where. It's a known
issue AFAIK and I wouldn't be surprized if there wasn't a workaround
already.

As it happens, the above is wrong in any case: libcall like that will
probably kill vim: if/when vim tries to read the result of system(3) as
a char * (it returns an int). Use libcallnr. Did you bother reading
:help eval before crying "STOP THE PRESSES!! GEORGI FOUND A BUG!!"?

> vim better than windoze

Says the guy who's realeased ~50 windows advisories -- you've used it
quite a bit. Anyway, comparing a text editor with an operating system?

> Workaround/Solution:
> Put the following in your ~/.vimrc or better in a system wide config file:
>
> set modelines=0
>
> It disables modelines without breaking significant functionality - there is
> no compatibility in this stuff between vim and emacs anyway.

If you work with much source code (and I'm not talking VBscript,
Georgi), you'll find a lot of packages use modelines for configuring eg.
folding within each source file. For an example of this, see PHP.

> Anyway, this was written in vim :)

Congratulations on installing Mandrake, Georgi.

David.