From: guninski at guninski.com (Georgi Guninski)
Subject: Some vim problems, yet still vim much better
 than windows

David M. Wilson wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 09:59:43PM +0200, Georgi Guninski wrote:
>
> I seen this sometime last year, I cannot remember where. It's a known
> issue AFAIK and I wouldn't be surprized if there wasn't a workaround
> already.

Never saw a working testcase. Fact is major linux distributions ship vim with
dangerous defaults now.

> As it happens, the above is wrong in any case: libcall like that will
> probably kill vim: if/when vim tries to read the result of system(3) as
> a char * (it returns an int). Use libcallnr. Did you bother reading
> :help eval before crying "STOP THE PRESSES!! GEORGI FOUND A BUG!!"?

"...will probably kill vim..."?? Ever bothered trying it to tell for sure?
Check your facts before trolling.
Personally don't care what TFM says, the important thing is whether things work
or not.

> >vim better than windoze
>

> Says the guy who's realeased ~50 windows advisories -- you've used it
> quite a bit. Anyway, comparing a text editor with an operating system?

I am no saint and I have used windoze. That is why I can judge now which one is
better.

> If you work with much source code (and I'm not talking VBscript,
> Georgi), you'll find a lot of packages use modelines for configuring eg.
> folding within each source file. For an example of this, see PHP.

Do you suggest also adding a paper clip to vim to help you do more efficient PHP
processing? What about if someone wants to edit PHP with emacs?

Georgi Guninski