From: batsy at vapour.net (batz)
Subject: Wired.com: So Many Holes, So Few Hacks

On 30 Dec 2002, Ken Dyke wrote:

:"group" is an artificial classification.  It does not represent a real
:entity.  At its best, a "group" refers to a set of members.  In the end,
:for any event to occur an individual must initiate some action.  Your
:point here is a classic stereotype fallacy argument.
:
:Fix this and apply the implications to the rest of your thesis.

Well, if you want to be pedantic and say that people who write code
do so as unrelated automatons, independantly of all influence and
unaffected by their co-existance with other human beings, let
alone other coders, one might fall into an ideological pitfall
that can make one sound ridiculous enough that another might
think the comment was written by just such a mentally inert
automaton.

I suppose if we simply dismiss the things we misunderstand as
fallacies, then we will never need to know whether we
understood them in the first place or not. No muss no fuss.

However, a wise hacker might consider assessing whether he
has adequate reception before questioning the integrity of
the signal.

The comment wasn't an argument about what I said anyway,
it's an attempt to get into one of those philisophical pissing
matches about individualism, free will, and that harpy'ish
objectivist crap. No thanks robot-boy, save it for usenet.

But I digress...

Tonight we observe the plodding and inexorable march of time,
toast to friends present and absent, and celebrate the unfortunate
inference that entropy has dragged us one year closer to the
eventual heat-death of the universe.

Who wants cake?

Happy new year:)

--