From: silvio at big.net.au (Silvio Cesare)
Subject: Security Industry Under Scrutiny #4

some points here..

copy cat crimes are well documented in legal history with much precedence.

lets look at the book, "a clockwork orange".  considered [at least in
some circles], a literary masterpiece.

now after the movie was released [and i dont know the history too well here],
it turned out that people started doing copycat style killings.  if you've
read the book, then the killings described were pretty horrific.

the movie by consideration to the book is rather tame - eg, it doesnt depict
pedophelia in the scene with those 2 girls at the record store.. in the book
they are like 12 or 14 in age iirc, and in the movie they are well and truely
adults.

in the movie also, the depicition of the police is toned down.. the book
tried to portray that the police were just as violent and irresponsible as
the 'criminals in question.  in the movie, theres only occasional police
violence whereas the book shows almost all actions by the police in the same
style as the 'perpz.

now.. the movie was banned in various places [include some states of
australia], after these copycat murders took place.. 30 or so years on, the
movie is widely available again, and considered still controversial but
argueably a masterpiece. [imo, the movie was mediocre in comparison to the
book itself.  a good movie, but the book was far superior].

I believe the author of a clockwork orange regretted writing the book from
his statements later in life, in consideration of the copycat crimes that took
place afterwards..

many people however disagree with the authors regret in writing, as the book
covers important topics relevant to humanity, deviance, conformity and control.
these issues are written through the use of perhaps insane depicitions.. yet
they at the same time, make us examine what we think about criminal behaviour
and the rights of the state to enforce non-deviance and control.

so.. while naturally, no-one can condone the crimes that occured as a 'result'
of this book - the book itself, is certainly something that has benefitted
and contributed to society.

[ getting off topic --> ]

1 more point.. in australia, and perhaps many other countries, public
libraries often have the book 'mein kampf (sp?).  this is a pretty nutty book
if you've ever looked at it.  it doesn't say much for the time it was
released initially, pre the implementation of the 'final solution.  if more
people read this book, perhaps they would have realized the insanity that
become implemented because of it.  if hitler did not write this book, would
we believe that such a 'final solution would be implemented?

unfortunately, i would argue somewhat that such actions of george w. bush
in his state of the union address, the legislation of the patriot act
etc, also describes pure insanity.. lets hope in 50 years we wont be able
to loan george w bushs views from the local library and go 'fuckk.. what
a nut'

--
Silvio