From: dotslash at snosoft.com (KF)
Subject: Re: Full Disclosure != Exploit Release

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 06:13, David Howe wrote:
>

>>That is of course your choice. Vendors in particular were prone to deny
>>a vunerability existed unless exploit code were published to prove it.
>

> I've read this mantra over and over again in these discussions, and a
> question occurs to me.  Can anyone provide a *documented* case where a
> vendor refused to produce a patch **having been properly notified of a
> vulnerability** until exploit code was released?

Heck yeah! See our issues with Compaq / HP earlier this summer... I was
basically told sure you can cause a segfault but our non-executable
stack is the holy grail and YOU can not touch it. Basically laughing in
my face for even implying that I could take root on a TRU64 box via a
buffer overflow. Without an exploit they claimed it was NOT possible. I
have heard of similar horror stories with HP... anyone else care to share?

You all know the outcome of that... a exploit was leaked they flipped
out tryed to sue us and mircaulously you see patches in a few days.

-KF