From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs)
Subject: SQL Server patch - why doesn't Windows update help?

HFNetChk and Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer also failed to warn anyone
about installing the SQL Server hotfixes or SQL Server Service Pack 3 until
a couple weeks before Sapphire. You should never allow a third-party to
update code on your boxes, period. Do not use Windows Update.

You should retrieve mssecure.xml (or mssecure.cab) from the following URLs
and use them along with other resources like security bulletins, mailing
lists, and lists of authentic known good hash codes to verify that your
boxes are up-to-date and in possession of authentic vendor code.

https://xml.shavlik.com/mssecure.xml
http://xml.shavlik.com/mssecure.cab

Microsoft currently publishes a different version of mssecure.xml; it was
not updated properly prior to Sapphire, although the version published by
shavlik.com was updated with hotfix and service pack details for SQL Server
months in advance of Sapphire. Hopefully Microsoft spontaneously learned how
to keep this important data file up-to-date. See:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/xml/security/1.0/nt5/en-us/mssecure.c
ab
https://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/search/mssecure.xml

Do not forget that there is a difference between the code your box is in
possession of and the code that it executes. Verifying that your box is
patched at some point in time in the past has only circumstantial bearing on
whether or not it is actually executing that code right now.

Sincerely,

Jason Coombs
jasonc@...ence.org