From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Schmehl, Paul L)
Subject: SQL Slammer - lessons learned

All this is well and good, but I have a really hard time understanding
why we need to route insecure networking protocols such as NetBIOS,
CIFS, NFS or NIS across the Internet.  Just closing those ports would do
a world of good for the Internet as a whole, and who in the world would
it hurt?

If you really seriously need to mount drives from a remote network, you
can do it through a secure tunnel (SSH, VPN), which would not be blocked
by blocking those ports.  If the Internet is going to survive in any
viable fashion, we have to come to our senses when it comes to allowable
services.  The uncontrolled access to networking services on home
computers and poorly secured commercial networks is the root cause
behind a lot of the problems that exist on the Internet today - worms,
virus, trojans, etc.  Ports 139 and 445, *at a minimum*, should be
closed (to the outside) on every network in the world.

Are you really willing to demand your "freedom" in the face of the
overwhelming odds that leaving those ports open will do more harm than
good?

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas