From: John.Airey at rnib.org.uk (John.Airey@...b.org.uk)
Subject: SQL Slammer - lessons learned

In the midst of all the opinions, what I had actually said was that part of
the problem is due to the way that ports are used.

Code Red/Nimda have fizzled out (probably still some infected machines out
there), since it is possible to block ports below 1024. Granted, you would
say that machines should be patched, however installing a machine from
scratch means that at some point it is vulnerable, even more so now that MS
is starting to insist that you use Windoze Update from the machine to update
rather than allowing administrators to download the update. I used to create
update CDs that would allow us to install these machines and patch them
without plugging them into the network, but now I can't. Thanks Bill...

This is not the case for higher ports. You will have problems if you block
these ports indiscriminately.

-
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 John.Airey@...b.org.uk

Am I the only person in the UK who finds it strange that our Prime Minister
complains of Human Rights abuses around the world, yet wishes to opt out of
the European Convention of Human Rights?

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk